Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Faux Chenille Blanket

It is finally, FINALLY, done!!!


I started this blanket so. so. so. long ago. Whenever I would get frustrated by it whether it be because a pin pricking me one too many times or just being beyond bored, I would just put it off to the side for another day, another week, another month, another season. But the other day I bunkered down and finished it and I am so. so. so. glad that I did! I am madly in love with it!
This is not a tutorial as I used Aesthetic Nest's and MADE's tutorials for making this beautiful blanket. These are just how I did it, and my thoughts about it.

I used a heavyweight cotton from Hancock Fabrics for my top fabric, and four layers of flannel for my bottom layers. The two layers closest to my top actually have really ugly patterns on them but you can't really tell since they are covered and cut. That was one way that I cut the costs.

I did not use glue, or saftey pins (just straight pins). I used a chalk line (out of the boyfriend's tool box) to make my first line. My fabric didn't shift too much but I do wish I had used saftey pins because with so much fabric flapping around its hard to see where they are and not get pricked. I wish I had used the chalk line a few more times to straighten out every so often, since when one line gets out of whack it can lead to all of them being that way. Luckily you can't even really tell now that it is washed, but just a thought.

When I was sewing I was initally not taking my needle out just leaving it down and turning my blanket, but once I started doing it the proper way, I liked how taking the needle out and clipping off the extra thread broke up all that sewing.

I cut using my erganomic spring assisted scissors and I think that they made it easier not to cut through the top fabric than regular scissors. I do wish I put one more layer in and left it uncut, I missed my lowest layer in some sections and I like the look a little better.

The biggest problem I had with it was how to "square it up" (mostly because I was making a rectangle, not a square) once I finished all the sewing. I trimmed the clearly wonky ends with scissors then tried to clean it up with the rotary cutter. I could still tell that it wasn't totally perfect, then I got over it! It was as straight as I was ever going to get it, and who was really ever going to notice? I also rounded the edges because it looked so cute on both of the tutorial blankets, I used a plate as well.

I am not a very patient sewer, but once I looked at Dana's bias tape tutorial over at MADE I knew that I needed to take my time and do it the right, or proper, way as Dana calls it. Which meant going around not once, but twice. But it was totally worth it! I knew I would have messed up if I had done it the sandwhich way. The right way, gave me a little more control over sewing it in a straight line. It came out just as beautiful as I had hoped! 

I am so happy with this blanket. It took me forever and drove me nuts. It is almost maddening to make, but once it comes out of the dryer, you don't remember any of it. It makes it all seem totally worth it. It is so plush, heavy, beautiful, and perfect. I wish I had the patience to make a bigger one that me and my love could snuggle under together, but it will probably never happen. So this one will have to do.

Everyone loves to snuggle this blanket, no matter how many legs you have...

two...




or four ...

I'm not sure if I will ever make another one of these blankets, because it is so time consuming, but if I found the right sale on flannel, I just might be tempted...

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget