So anyway, I cut the skirt in half keeping 2 pockets and ditching the waistband and belt loops.
Then I appliquéd some double layer stars out of cotton and fleece. After that I put a back on it by putting right aides together and sewing all the way around (leaving a hole for turning) then top-stitched the hole closed and the rest of the way around. After that I made a long skinny "tube", turned it right side out, and sewed it to the top as the apron ties. They are long enough to be wrapped around to the front to be tied. I used the same pink plaid cotton as the appliqué for the back and ties.
I love the way it came out! But not enough to keep it from my friend who I made it for. So this was gifted to her along with a set of six measurement magnets. Similar to the ones I have pinned here.
And here it is untied. You can see here how long I actually made the ties. I wanted them long enough to make a big bow when tied in the front or the back.