Halloween is my favorite holiday, so now that we have a home, I was super excited to decorate it for it! I have had this up since about mid September, butI figured it was about time to blog about it, now that Halloween is just 6(!) days away!
Here is a shot of the mantel, below you can see a "play-by-play" of my items.
1. Bat cut outs. I image those lucky enough to have a Silhouette could use it to it these out, but Ihave access to an old school die cutter, that I used. Dana at made cut hers out by hand.
2. A vintage window that I picked up for $10 at a local antique shop.
3. Scrap paper bunting - I just free handed shapes, then sewed them together, putting about 3-5 stitches between each piece.
4. Halloween Photo Banner - I printed photos at Walgreen's, then cut them into squares. I wanted to print them in black and white, but I forgot. I still like them though! I used mini clothes pins from Michael's to hang them on a Halloween ribbon, also from Michael's.
5. Happy Halloween Banner - I had a Halloween sticker pack from the dollar section of Target a few years ago. I used the letters and put them onto old book pages, that I cut into squares. Then I used craft glue to attach it to more Halloween ribbon from Michael's.
6. I bought these vases at a local antique store, to spray paint black, but then changed my mind once the mantel started coming together. The purple flowers and glitter accents are from Michael's. .89 cents each, can't beat it, for a little glitz!
7. Black Feather Boa - I draped it across the back, in front of the window base, to give a spook factor. There are also purple Halloween lights behind the window. I got then for about $5 from Michael's, but Christmas Tree Shops had them for about $4.
8. Miniature Bird Cage - from Michael's summer clearance section, for just 1 cent! Win!
9. Paper Mâché Skull - I had every intention of covering it in white tissue paper, but I never got to it. But there is always next year!
10. Jar of Buttons - I wanted to pull my purple, black, green, and orange color scheme to really pull together so I threw some buttons in those color into a jar to add to the effect.
11. Saranac Jug - Joe bring it home, drank it, and I rescued it from the recycling bin!
12. Jar of [googly] eye balls - I bought a pack of Halloween/monster googly eyes at Michael's.
13. Owl - from Pier 1's 75% off section! after Easter. I keep him out all year, but thought he fit in on the Halloween mantel. He is one of my favorites!
14. Candle - large purple sparkle pilar candle from Michael's Halloween section.
We also have some pumpkins on the front porch, and of course, holiday kitchen towels.
I love coming home to all the decorations!
This is my first try at a holiday mantel, but I love it, and that all that counts right?!
Do you decorate for Halloween? Share your links below so I can check them out! I love getting new ideas from seeing what everyone else is up to.