Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Beach...

I made a few beach inspired items the last few months.




After seeing a few things involving sand, I 'borrowed' some on a trip to the beach. I had enough to make two beach ornaments and one beach in a jar.


For the ornament: I took a clear glass ornament, pulled out the hanger and used a funnel to fill it up about halfway with sifted sand. Then I put a few tiny shells and beach goodies that i got out when I sifted the sand from the beach on top. Once I had everything in there I put some hot glue around the hanger and reassembled the ornament. Let it dry, then hang on your tree! I forgot to take a picture, but it really did come out nice.


For the Beach Jar: I had a hurricane glass vase laying around. It was actually from the centerpieces at my sisters beach wedding! Then I took the rest of my sand and poured it straight in. My boyfriend works near a beach that is not accessible to the public so it has an amazing shell collection. He picked me up some nearly perfect conch shells. I put three in my vase. Then I topped it of with a picture of my two pups walking down the beach, it is actually the same beach that I got the sand from! I love the way it turned out. At the moment it is displayed next to my fish tank, I thought it might give them a little hope, haha!



3 comments:

  1. Years ago, I used to make these beach ball ornaments to sell at craft shows and they were always a huge hit. You can buy tiny little starfish and if you soak them, they become very flexible and you can squeeze them through the ornament top into the glass ball. Everyone was amazed and wondered how I go them in there. (I never told... hahaha!!) ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds so cool! I'll have to keep an eye out for them because I will probably be making a few more of these! Thanks for tell me the trick!

      Delete